Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pets Week for Preschoolers - Part 3

Pets Week was a success! I apologize in advance for not including a lot of bird activities. It is totally deliberate. I intend to include an "Angry Birds" unit sometime soon so I am saving the bird activities for that time. 


Math - Fish and their bubbles


First seen on My Montessori Journey. I thought it was such a great idea! I made the fish from felt and wrote the numbers with white fabric glue. Adrian then sequenced the fish from 1 to 10 and distributed the water bubbles (cut-up little beads from a small purse I never used) to match the number on the fish. 


An example of matching numbered fish with the right amount of bubbles



Fine Motor Skills / Practical Life - Scooping "bird seed" aka "rice"

I guess I could have bought bird seeds since I'm planning on it anyway but since I had none at home this week, I used rice and pretended it was bird seed which Adrian had to scoop from one bowl to a smaller bowl. It got harder and harder the less seed there was...


Math -Addition with Goldfish

Adrian is loving adding lately and can do it without props but this math was so cute I couldn't resist. I printed it from 3Dinosaurs  (Ocean Part 2 Pack) and inserted it in a plastic protector so it could be used several times. I put goldfish "in the water" and Adrian would count and add the number cards needed under.


Math - Feeding the dog the right amount of bones

A yummy activity. Printed these cards from a clipart found on CogHillCartooning. Then I printed a bunch of them and wrote a number on each and put some Scooby Snacks in a bowl.  Adrian knew exactly what to do; feed each dog the amount of bones desired...and eat the bones afterwards.


Math - Number puzzles

A puzzle-game made by Ravensburger we bought last year. He enjoys it as a puzzle. Haven't played it as game yet. I pulled out the pets cards and he completed the puzzles...and then proceeded to pull out the farm animals and zoo animals as well! :)

Art - Dog Origami

Wanted to do something different so I looked for simple origami activities for kids and found this dog on Origami with Rachel Katz. It was very easy for me, but Adrian needed assistance with pressure in the folds but overall, he liked it much. Mine is the white dog and his the black dog (we didn't have origami paper but two construction sheets could be glued together. Doing it along is a must.


Art - Making play dough balls for pets to play with

Noticing that Adrian is having  a tough time modeling with dough, I presented this activity to him. Very simple; make balls so the Learning Resources Jumbo Pets have toys to play with. He loved the idea but is still in need of some practice to form balls. He's getting better every time though.

* * *

Today, I'm happily linking up to:


12 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic group of ideas! I love the fish math and the play dough balls. Thank you for joining us at Share It Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you are hosting again! You were missed last week! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh I just love all of these! The fish bubbles are just awesome and I love the dog origami. So many great ways to teach and learn, thank you so much for sharing on We Made That!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tracey! I'm glad you got to stop by. Pets week went by SO fast!

      Delete
  3. Saw your blog on The Sunday Showcase and thought I would stop by, love these ideas for a pets theme. Can't wait to use some and also excited for the Angry Birds post with birds when that time comes! My son loves Angry Birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keri, I was linking up to an "old" post this week since my latest one was a Seasonal one that no one would really "appreciate" after the "season" was over...as such the Angry Birds Week is out! Feel free to browse through it! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Oh, so cute. I love those little counting fish with bubbles coming out! this is a little young for my kiddo at the moment, but I'm pinning for future use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. You'll have to come back too. I'll be starting my toddler on Montessori this fall so I'll have regular posts starting this fall. I thought I would this school year but couldn't. My preschooler took the entire focus! :)

      Delete
  5. Visiting from the Sunday Showcase. I'd love for you to share your family-friendly crafts and ideas at Monday Kid Corner at thejennyevolution.com. See you at the party!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invitation Jennifer! I'll go ahead and check it out! :)

      Delete
  6. This is a fabulous unit, Valerie! I really enjoy your themed activities. I featured your post and feeding the dog photo in my Montessori-inspired pet activities post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2014/06/16/montessori-monday-montessori-inspired-pet-activities/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Deb! It is such an honor to be featured on such a well-renowed Montessori blog such as Living Montessori Now.

      Delete